The Benefits of Exercise
The benefits of exercise go far beyond the results reflected in the mirror. While the primary goal of exercise might be to gain muscle or lose weight, there are many long-term benefits of exercise too. These include;
- Heart Health – Improved circulation and heart strength (the heart is a muscle too!). Plus, exercise can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and blood pressure which reduces the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke.
- Reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes – Exercise can increase insulin sensitivity and improve blood glucose control. This reduces the risk of diabetes and can lead to remission in people with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Reduced risk of some cancers – Exercise can also reduce the risk of some cancers, including breast and colon cancer.
- Bone and Muscle Health – Increased strength, muscle mass and reduced loss of bone density from exercise is associated with better mobility and reduced risk of falls in older adults.
- Mental health – Exercise is a great strategy to manage stress and anxiety. This is because it releases endorphins that make us feel happy! Other benefits include improved self-esteem and improved sleep.
Exercise should be an enjoyable activity. If we find it difficult then we are unlikely to achieve our fitness goals and the benefits listed above! You need to find out what what type of exercise or exercises works for you. At The Life Plan we have a whole range fitness plans from walking to HIIT, you’re bound to find something that you enjoy. Take a look at the Fitness page for more information. Remember that while there are many benefits of exercise, this is just one piece of the puzzle when it comes to enhancing your health. Nutrition and wellbeing are also essential!